What:The North Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Association announced the ten chefs competing in the third of five preliminary rounds leading up to the fourth annual NCRLA Chef Showdown, presented by Got to be NC Agriculture.
The Showdown’s booming success inspired this year’s expanded format, introducing five preliminary rounds — the fourth to be held Monday, July 8, at The Painted Plate in Greensboro, N.C. — before the three regional rounds leading up to the final NCRLA Chef Showdown event.
Preliminary chef competitors will prepare and serve dishes to be judged by three culinary experts scoring on presentation, taste and use of local ingredients from North Carolina. This round’s four top scoring chefs will move on to the regional competition in Charlotte on Monday, Aug. 19 at Central Piedmont Community College, ultimately progressing to the finals on Monday, Sept. 30, at Angus Barn’s Bay 7 in Durham, N.C., where the coveted titles of “NCRLA Chef of the Year” and “NCRLA Pastry Chef of the Year” will be crowned.
The preliminary and regional events are closed to the public. However, NCRLA is granting access to local media.
Who: The savory chefs are:
• Nichole Armstead, DoubleTree by Hilton Libations Kitchen & Bar, Charlotte, N.C.
• Sam Diminich, Burke Hospitality, Charlotte, N.C.
• Phillip Platoni, Southminister, Charlotte, N.C.
• Adam Reed, Santé, Matthew, N.C.
• Matthew Shepard, McNinch House Restaurant, Charlotte, N.C.
• Whitney Thomas, 5Church, Charlotte, N.C.
• Paul Verica, The Stanley, Charlotte, N.C.
• Daniel Wheeler, DotDotDot, Charlotte, N.C.
The pastry chefs are:
• Madison Steegar, McNinch House Restaurant, Charlotte, N.C.
• Jamie Turner, Earl’s Grocery & Soul Food Sessions, Charlotte, N.C.
The judges are:
• Chef Andrew Wright, chef de cuisine, The Inn at Little Washington, Washington, V.A.
• Chef Mark Allison, executive chef of culinary innovation, Cabarrus County Health Department, Kannapolis, N.C.
• Chef Teddy Diggs, owner and chef, Coronato Pizza, Carrboro, N.C.
When: Monday, June 24 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
8470 Bellhaven Blvd.
Charlotte, N.C. 28216
Visuals: High-end plated food featuring local ingredients, local chefs and pastry chefs in-action, and expert judges.
Details: For media inquiries, please contact Jennifer Caro at (919) 459-6456 and Jennifer@largemouthpr.com, or Margo Metzger at (919) 413-8884 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
About: Established in 1947, the North Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Association (NCRLA) works to advance and protect North Carolina’s $23.5 billion restaurant, foodservice and lodging industry. The association provides access to the resources and support restaurant and lodging professionals need to lead thriving businesses, while serving as conscientious, contributing members of an unparalleled industry. To learn more information about NCRLA or its membership opportunities and cost-saving benefits, please visit www.ncrla.org.